Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Italian Cabbage

1 head cabbage, chopped and boiled (I cooked it in 1 can beef broth)
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used diced tomatoes with basil, and oregano)
1 lb. ground sausage, cooked, drained, & rinsed (I used reduced fat)
1 lb ground chuck, cooked, drained, and rinsed
salt & pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1-2 T. chili powder
Italian seasoning, to taste

In a large skillet, saute onion & green pepper. Add meats, cabbage, tomatoes, and seasonings. Add beef broth, or water, if desired. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with a salad and bread, if desired. This recipe has a lot of the same flavors as my Chili Mac recipe without the pasta and cheese. A much healthier recipe! (A great recipe to make for New Years Day. I serve it with Hoppin John, collard greens, dressed eggs, & fruit tea.)

(*I just recently was made aware that the name Dago was offensive to Italian people. I had never heard this before & had no idea. I had wondered what the word meant and had tried to look it up in the dictionary, but it wasn't listed. I apologize to anyone I offended and I have changed the name to Italian Cabbage now.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment